Tuesday, January 21, 2014

More finished objects!

My Liesl cowl is finished! In fact, it's been finished since mid-October, but as noted, I'm not the greatest at photographing things. Plus, the Liesl Cowl went straight into my rotation of cozy things to wear out in the world. And with that lovely polar vortex we had a few weeks ago, it has seen a lot of use. The Liesl cowl, if you'll recall started out as a lovely pile of 5 skeins of Quince & Co.'s lark yarn in the marsh colorway:


I then learned how to cast on provisionally, and spent a while memorizing a cable chart, trying to create some sort of nemonic device to remember which slash meant cable front and which meant cable back. I failed at that, but I did learn to "read" my knitting, and could quickly and easily braid my cables without a pattern, which felt like quite the accomplishment!


I started knitting it in late winter/early spring, but did not finish before summer hit. I took it on a trip to Duluth in June - I wish I had taken a picture of me knitting it there, but alas, I did not. I finished it in late September/early October, but it was the end of October before I got around to blocking it. Blocking it did squash my cables some (they are popping back out a little but oops). It felt like it took forever to dry, but mostly I was impatient, because I had worn it a few times before blocking and just wanted it back already.


It has a nice, thick, squashy feel, and drapes well, but also still stands up against the wind and my coat collar. In fact, it has turned out so well that my granmom has asked me to knit one for her - which I have just recently cast on, in the lark-peacock colorway.


Here I am wearing my cowl with my aunt who is an award-winning chocolatier in Portland, OR. Her shop is called Alma and she makes the most delicious (and beautiful) chocolates. The Habanero Caramel Bonbon is divine. 


And if you look back to this post, I am wearing the Liesl with my not-quite-cousin L. 

No comments:

Post a Comment