Thursday, March 6, 2014

Emily's Cowl

I rarely knit in a super bulky yarn. Clearly I have been missing out on something. First of all, an evening to start and finish a knit project! Second, the cushy-ness of it! Third, the warmth! Just look at that seed stitch in the sun - isn't it cozy?
Don't you just want to wrap yourself in it? I did - so much that I'm buying a third ball to knit one for myself. This is a Churchmouse pattern that was sent out in their winter printed newsletter. Confession time: I have been on Churchmouse's email list for 3 years, but only learned about the printed newsletter when my roommate received the most recent one. Now I am on their mailing list, too (I hope). 
This pattern is the Last Minute Cowl in seed stitch - there is a ribbed version as well. It knit up, as noted, super fast. I used Rowan Tumble in colorway 569. Tumble is an alpaca-cotton blend - 90% alpaca, 10% cotton. I knit the Last Minute Cowl for my brother's girlfriend Emily. Emily has been a part of our family for almost 4 years now - I think this is the first time I've even sort of gotten it together for the holidays.
This had just enough drape and just enough structure. If you had a shawl pin, you could pin it closed high on your neck, but even without it stays cozy-close. It was a little big on Emily, because she is petite, but I think it'll work out well for her. I tried it on a few times - over a t-shirt, under a coat, with a sweater - and it was lovely to wear each time. I'm kinda jealous - not that it will take me long to knit mine once I finally purchase my yarn!
The beautiful Moxie, posing with the yarn. She doesn't get to sit on my bed much at the moment though. Stay tuned for the reason why!

No comments:

Post a Comment