Friday, March 14, 2014

Phin!

So I alluded to a new, exciting thing in my apartment in my last post. That "thing" is a dog! Meet Phin:
Phin (short for Finnegan) is a 5 month old lab/husky mix (we think). He's the most enormous puppy you'll meet - we were at the vet on Tuesday and he weighs 54 lbs. He's pretty darn cute, but life with a puppy takes a lot of adjusting.
Suddenly there is this creature who wants up on the futon with you when all you want is to knit! And then falls asleep on your feet, but you need that book/computer/phone/knitting from over there! But we are all adjusting well. Britt and I now get up almost every day between 6 and 6:30. We try to take turns letting one of us sleep a little later. We go to bed around 10 every night. We eat dinner earlier. Some things are still hard to figure out - how do you best unload groceries from the car?
But we like Phin. He's sweet, and smart, and we're working hard on training him. We live in downtown, and his foster family was way out in the suburbs, and so all the people and cars have been a hard adjustment for him. We take obedience classes, which all three of us love - Phin gets controlled exposure to other people, and we get help in how to teach him!
So my knitting has slowed down a bit. I can no longer come home from work and curl up on the couch with my knitting bag and knit for hours straight. Instead, I get home, take the dog out, start dinner, take the dog for a walk, feed the dog, eat dinner, take the dog out, play with the dog, kennel the dog - and then think about knitting. I am definitely getting my 30 minutes of exercise 3 times a week and then some, which is great!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment